Common Flat Roof Problems
There are many different types of flat roofing systems and they can all have problems if they are not installed, maintained and repaired properly. Alternatively with the many types of flat commercial roofs, you can avoid issues with quality preventative maintenance â€“ this is an invaluable asset when it comes to having a long roof life.
Common Flat Roof Problems:
Empty Pitch Pockets
Open Membrane Seams
Lack of Ventilation
Moss or Silt
Immediate problems that could come up:
- Severe weather can mean severe and instant issues- High winds, hail, drenching rains that overflow the flashing height, lightning
- Roof-top equipment installations - Improperly added equipment or other items improperly installed on the roof, a very common source of roofing problems are items added by tenants without permission or planning
- Trade damage â€“ membrane tears, holes, etc. caused by trades other than your roofing contractor when doing any work that requires roof access
- Vandalism or accidental damage - even a small hole can let in a large amount of water into the roofing system
What can wear out your roof?
- Structural movement â€“ all buildings settle or expand/contract over time and depending on your roof type, it may not be very accommodating.
- Exposure - either long-term exposure to the elements (sun, water, freeze-thaw) or shorter-term exposure to damaging air pollutants and chemicals which is not uncommon on commercial roofs
- Plant growth - If proper care is not taken you could end up with a â€śgreen roofâ€ť unintentionally on a roof that was not built for it. Standing water or algae can hatch a garden.
- Regularly delaying repairs â€“ This can add up to a much shorter roof life. If a small problem is not repaired or it is delayed, this can result in a large amount of insulation being damaged.
- Ignoring the importance of maintenance - This is perhaps the single biggest cause of premature roof failure, roof maintenance saves money.
- Change in the use of the building â€“ Perhaps you have a building that changes from a warehouse to homes. The change in relative humidity can cause an increase in the interior relative humidity of a building which can cause severe condensation problems within the roofing system.