Preventative Flat Roof Maintenance Plans
When is the last time you, your plant engineer or maintenance supervisor walked your flat roof? Do you have a scheduled Spring and Fall inspection with a minimal cleaning of roof surfaces, drains and scuppers? Have you checked for storm damage and removed fallen limbs or debris? Do you have a checklist of conditions and a reference file for proper "No surprise" budgeting techniques?
It's important to remember that over 90% of commercial flat roof leaks and premature system failures occur at the roof details: walls, metal edges, flashings, protrusions, sheet laps, drains, etc... Proper identification and elimination of problems on a timely basis can circumvent flat roof replacement prior to assembly damage.
Scheduling flat roof inspections and flat roof maintenance not only to prolong the life flat roof systems, but also reveal areas that are beyond the stage of maintenance.
An out of sight, out of mind attitude toward your flat roofing systems is dangerous. It's also poor asset management. Too many owners and managers have been burned by premature roof failure. When water starts entering the building, hard assets, corporate profits and maintenance personnel start taking a beating.
So don't wait - start now:
- Use life-cycle costing to assure maximum roof life.
- Adapt a pro-active roof maintenance protocol.
- Perform semi-annual flat roof inspections and flat roof repairs.
- Budget a minimum amount, per year for preventative maintenance (beginning in first year).
- Budget a minimum amount, per year for more extensive remedial restoration
- Track all collateral building damage and incidental costs associated with leaking roofs.
- Show management how past collateral damage costs exceed the cost of implementing a commercial roof maintenance and management program.
Roofmaintenance.ca recommends that you inspect commercial flat roofs at least semiannually.
For more information on commercial industrial flat roof maintenance Toronto or Mississauga contact Roof Maintenance.ca.