Choosing Between Roofing Companies
General Advice When Choosing A Roofing Company
When choosing between roofing companies, it is important to consider factors such as experience, reliability, workmanship, warranty, price and more. A legitimate roofing company should be able to provide the following:
- Local references and roofing testimonials.Ask prospective contractors of recently completed jobs and past clients you can call to find out if they were satisfied with the work. Also, check with the local better business bureau and see if any complaints have been filed against.
- Business License. Deal only with licensed and insured contractors. Some types of roofing may require contractors to have special training, certifications, or licenses to ensure proper installation.
- Roofing credentials. Get business cards and ask for written estimates for the work. An established roofing company should be able to provide a business address, phone, and email. A permanent business address is a sign of a stable company.
- Workers compensation insurance. A roofing company should carry worker's compensation and general liability insurance. Request the name and address of the insurance carrier, along with a copy of the company's insurance certificate.
- General liability insurance. A professional roofing company carries sufficient insurance to protect your home as well as their equipment and employees who are involved in performing the work. The standard coverage includes General Liability, Automobile and Workers Compensation Insurance.
- Written manufacturer warranties. Certified contractors can offer stronger warranties on the products they install and follow stricter installation guidelines. Review the warranty and confirm that the warranty provides adequate protection for the finished project as well as for the extended life of the product.