TPO Roofing - Flat Roof Replacement
What is TPO?
TPO thermoplastic single ply systems are based on advanced polymerization technology that combine the durability and weatherproof properties of ethylene-propylene (EP) rubber with the heat-weldable capability of polypropylene. This membrane is specifically formulated for long-term weather resistance without the use of either polymeric or liquid plasticizers.
In addition, TPO membranes will not host mildew, bacteria or algae, so that reflectivity remains high, helping reduce air conditioning loads and the urban heat island effect. They are also made without plasticizers or chlorinated compounds for a superior environmental roofing solution.
TPO singly ply systems come in wide sheets to help make installation faster and easier on new roofing and re-roofing applications, resulting in fewer seams and less material. Warranties are available for up to 20 years.
TPO Roof Replacement & Recovery
When we perform a flat roof replacement or recovery on a TPO flat roof, you have the choice of colour, not so much for aesthetics but for reflectivity. This effect has garnered TPO flat roofing systems a term called "cool roofs". A white TPO flat roof easily exceeds the energy star reflectivity rating performance requirements which allows for annual energy savings.
With over 15 years of experience in the commercial roofing industry Roof Maintenance.ca roof technicians have replaced and re-roofed hundreds of TPO systems. The result is a roof with a long life expectancy made even longer with a preventative maintenance plan. Call us for more information on repairing you TPO roof.
More Information on TPO Roofing Systems
What are TPO Roofing Systems?
- Relatively new in the roofing market but have a high return for its cost.
- EPDM is a synthetic rubber while TPO is a rubber-like plastic
- Lightweight, completely waterproof, resistant to punctures and tears and highly flexible (important when considering the temperature fluctuations of winter and summer)
- Available in different colours resulting in a highly reflective surface that can save you heating and cooling costs
- â€śSeamlessâ€ť design due to the hot-air welded seams â€“ a much stronger alternative to adhesives
TPO is typically based on polypropylene and EP (ethylene-propylene) rubber polymerized together using state-of-the-art polymer manufacturing technology. This technology enables the production of TPO membranes that are flexible at low temperatures without the use of polymeric or liquid plasticizers.
Unlike some other popular thermoplastic roofing membranes, the TPO polymer does not contain chlorine and no chlorine-containing ingredients are added during sheet production. This lack of chlorine allows TPO marketers to advertise their membrane as an environmentally safe, â€śgreenâ€ť product.
The TPO resin is compounded with other components including a weathering package, fire retardants and pigments for color to create a product that can withstand the elements associated with rooftop exposure. Sheets are available in varying widths up to 3.66m and membrane thickness is typically 1.1 or 1.5 mm although membrane up to 2.0 mm is also available.
Pros and Cons of TPO Roofing Systems
- Economical at a reasonable cost
- Latest technologies enable all colors of TPO roofing membranes to be UV resistant and "cool".
- TPO resists mold growth, dirt accumulation, tears impact and punctures.
- Ease of installation translates into direct savings for you for the cost of installation
- Energy Efficient - keeps the interior thermally comfortable on hot summer days while reducing your air conditioning costs.
- Young roofing technology means questionable longevity
- Noted to have an issue of accelerated weathering when subjected to high thermal or solar loading
If you are not sure what type of roof you have, or if you are in need of TPO roof repairs, give us a call.
We service all types of flat roofing systems:
- EPDM (Ethylene propylene diene monomer)
- BUR (Built Up Roofing)
- Modified Bitumen (Tar & Gravel)
- PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride)
We value our clients and believe in 100% customer satisfaction. We provide a 7 year leak free (*on new work only) warranty. Stop waiting and contact us today!